Skip to main content

Heat Strain at Work with Dr. Denise Koh

Published in SAFE Work Matters, July, 2018
https://www.safemanitoba.com/News/Pages/Heat-Strain-at-Work-with-Dr.-Denise.aspx



High temperatures can cause excessive stress on the body, especially when combined with high humidity, direct sun and/or a lack of appropriate air movement. These factors can overwhelm the body's ability to cool itself, a condition known as heat strain. It's essential for workers exposed to heat during their work day to know how to recognize and respond to incidents of heat stress exposure, and to take necessary safety measures to stay healthy and comfortable. Manitoba employers should also be aware of their responsibilities when it comes to addressing heat stress in their workplaces.  

Recognizing and responding to heat stress exposure

We tend to associate heat stress with working outdoors; however, indoor workers can also be at risk. Indoor workers who work in hot environments (e.g., foundry workers), or in buildings without air conditioning (especially during the summer), should also take action to protect themselves from the heat.
In any work environment with high temperatures, you should monitor yourself and co-workers, particularly new co-workers, for signs of heat illness, exhaustion or heat stroke. 
Excessive heat stress on the body may result in one or more of the following symptoms of heat strain:
  • heat illness - heat rash, swelling of hands, feet and ankles, headache, dizziness, upset stomach or vomiting
  • heat exhaustion - tiredness or weakness, moist skin, a rapid weak pulse
  • life-threatening heat stroke - hot dry skin, a rapid strong pulse, mental confusion, seizures or convulsions, unconsciousness.
Dizziness/discomfort on the job caused by heat stress can also lead to incidents and injuries.
Pay attention to individuals displaying symptoms of sudden and severe fatigue, nausea, dizziness or light-headedness, rapid breathing and/or a sustained rapid heart rate.
If you see someone showing signs that they are struggling in the heat:
  • Move the person to a cool, shaded area or remove them from the heat source.
  • Loosen or remove heavy clothing.
  • Provide cool drinking water. Thirst isn't a good indicator of dehydration, so drink regularly even when not thirsty.
Call 911 immediately if you think someone may be experiencing heat stroke.

Preventing heat strain

To prevent heat strain from occurring: 
  • work in the shade and away from other heat sources
  • take rest breaks in shaded or cool areas and drink cool water frequently
  • focus on lighter activities when possible and plan the day to tackle the more physically demanding jobs during the coolest hours
  • when returning to work or starting a new position, build up your tolerance to high temperatures (it takes about a week for the body to adjust to heat)
  • wear industry-appropriate clothing that allows free movement of cool, dry air over the skin's surface to maximize heat removal by evaporation and convection (e.g., lightweight, light-coloured clothing, and head coverings when working outside).

Employer responsibilities

The Workplace Safety and Health Regulation (Part 4.12) requires that employers implement safe work procedures and control measures to address the risk to safety and health posed by heat or cold.
Depending upon the humidex, there are also guidelines in the standards that the Workplace Safety and Health Act follows (based on ACGIH threshold limit value or TLV for heat stress) that dictate the length of rest periods (in cool settings) per hour of work, based on how strenuous the work is. 
Manitoba employers should work with their safety and health committees and/or workers to determine heat strain prevention procedures. Depending on the workplace, general measures include:  
  • heat stress exposure training
  • encouraging adequate fluid intake
  • limiting heat exposure
  • watching for symptoms in co-workers.
In addition to general controls, specific measures for hot workplaces or at-risk workers can include:
  • engineering controls to reduce physical job demands
  • shielding of radiant heat
  • increasing air movement
  • reducing heat and moisture emissions at the source
  • adjusting exposure times to allow sufficient recovery
  • adjusting expectations for workers coming back to work after an absence
  • personal body-cooling equipment (e.g., vests with pockets tailored for icepacks) for acclimatized workers doing moderate work.

Did you know?

  • Some workers may be more prone to heat strain. These include older individuals, people with physical impairments or chronic illnesses. Certain medications also affect heat sensitivity and the body's cooling function.
  • Extreme heat in early summer generally results in greater health impacts than those occurring later in the summer. Most people regularly exposed to high temperatures become acclimatized or used to hot environments.
  • Heat impacts on health are worse if high temperatures persist over several days and throughout the night. Elevated night-time temperatures prevent relief from daytime heat and contribute to additional heat stress.
  • Evidence suggests that the combined exposures to air pollution and extreme heat result in worse impacts on health. High temperatures increase the formation of air pollutants, such as ground-level ozone. Air quality can also be affected by forest fires, which occur more often in warmer, dryer weather.
  • Summer driving also requires caution. It is important to note that the strengthening sun angle even in the spring can cause the temperature in vehicles to spike on a sunny day. When outside air temperature is 23°C, the temperature inside a vehicle can be extremely dangerous - more than 50°C. On a hot and sunny day, the temperature inside a vehicle can spike by nearly 20° in just 10 minutes. Over the course of one to two hours, the temperature inside the vehicle can climb as much as 50° higher than the outside air.

Comments

  1. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,HPV,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Leukemia,Lun,Fribroid,Infertility,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Outdoor Air Quality: Smoke and Air Pollution at Work with Dr. Denise Koh

submitted for publication Safe Work Matters December, 2018 Climate Change Impact on AQ:  Due to Manitoba’s northern latitude and continental geography, our province is projected to continue to s ee rapid changes in our climate-- warming much faster than the global average --with significant major disruptions in our social, economic, and ecological systems, industry sectors, and health.  Climate Change and higher temperatures will increase smog pollution as well as wildfires, due to the drying of the forest floor with elevated heat and drought.  This year Manitoba had 472 wildland fires which burnt 218,000 hectares.  Canada’s wildfires prompted air quality advisories by Environment Canada. T he Canadian Medical Association estimated that the Illness Cost of Air Pollution (ICAP) in 2008 was $8 billion in Canada for lost productivity, healthcare costs, quality of life, and loss of life.   Approximately 21,000 deaths could be attributed to air pollution, together with 11,000 hosp